You Have Choices Many of us have heard the phrase, “A protein is a protein is a protein”. True? Absolutely not! We live in a country that pushes animal proteins at us from virtually every angle through advertising, marketing, and nutritional and dieting trends. Big agriculture makes sure of that. We all need to be consuming proteins because our bodies need it for many reasons, and there are many ways to get it. Here are a few:
- Beans and legumes
- Whole grains
- Beef, chicken, lamb, pork, wild game
- Various vegetables
- And… SEAFOOD!
Seafood Seafood is a great way to get quality proteins into our bodies. But there are other health related reasons to choose seafood over some of the other animal protein sources. Most important is that a lot of seafood contains the Long Chain Omega 3 Fats that are so beneficial to our well being. Here are five benefits to the Omega 3 Fats found in seafood.
- Improve Heart Health: Long chain Omega 3’s help to increase HDL (good cholesterol), lower Triglycerides (fat in your blood), and reduce inflammation, all of which greatly lessen our chances of suffering a traumatic cardiac event.
- Improve Immune Function: Omega 3’s are beneficial in reducing inflammation that interrupts our immune system and can lessen symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis and other inflammatory disorders. It also helps to build and shape the immune systems of infants.
- Improve Mental Health Disorders: Omega 3’s have shown to improve symptoms of people experiencing depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, and ADHD in children.
- Improve The Mind: Omega 3’s have been shown to increase cognitive brain health including neurotransmission and cell repair. It has also been shown to help reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s.
- Help Defend Against Chronic Illness: Type 2 Diabetes, Obesity, and Cardiovascular disease are the three biggest health epidemics in America today. Sadly, they are the three that are almost exclusively caused by us alone and our lifestyle choices. Increased intake of Omega 3 fats have shown to improve all of these illnesses, along with a change in lifestyle (more exercise, better food choices).
Choosing Your Seafood Our oceans are becoming more and more polluted today and the number one offender to fish is mercury. Here are some of the fish that tend to carry the highest levels of toxic mercury:
- Very Large Halibut
Your best choices are for fish are:
- Black Cod
The best way to ensure the best quality seafood however is to buy fish that is local and seasonal (not farm raised). The smaller, cold water local fish are almost always your best choice unless of course you are lucky enough to find some Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon which is king of Omega 3’s. If you are looking for a supplement to take be sure that it is of high quality and contains the valuable EPA/DHA. For a great source click here and order Omegagenics EPA/DHA 500 from my Metagenics Online Store. Happy Fishing!